Work is going well and I am
learning a lot! Alongside the goats I got to visit an olive factory this week
to see where everything gets processed. Olives are everywhere here and are very
important for the area! We visited Juans olive patch and his is the only organic
one within the local area. The difference on the ground is immediately obvious
as there is grass everywhere whereas the mass produced areas are bare,
waterlogged and full of gullies. He is an inspirational man and talks highly
about the ecological aspects of both olives and farming (and I understood what
he was saying!).
He only started up the farm six
years ago with his family and is very passionate about it. His plans for the
future include vermiculture for the insects that are on the farm, increasing
the number of goats from 500 to 800 and opening up opportunities for
agritourism such as showing children where their food/drink naturally comes from
and possibly horse trekking. I wish him all the best in his endeavours as he
has the passion and vision to carry it forward.
Every day at the farm we milk
around 300 goats in the morning and then we have breakfast. Following this we
feed all the goats, clean the shed, feed to the pigs, dogs and collect the eggs
from the chickens. It is not a bad life! We have also made some cheese which is
something that I hope to do again when I get home.
![]() |
| The happiest goat of all time! |
Milking the goats has provided
many entertaining moments so far. I have sadly already been pooed on, as much
as I tried to avoid it! I am getting slightly concerned that I now recognise
more of the goats by their back end rather than their face! For anyone who has
seen the edited version of the Taylor Swift song with the goats should know
that they make those sorts of noises all the time and it can be quite something.
If you are milking and that sound comes out it can be quite unnerving as I might
well make the same sound if someone came up behind me and attached suckers
without asking haha! I am really enjoying working with these animals and they
are providing plenty of entertainment. My technique for catching kid goats
definitely needs to improve as at the moment I am just running up and down the
shed being outsmarted by a 6 month year old animal!
This weekend we went out on the
Friday night to celebrate us completing our first week of work and on Sunday we
walked to Úbedas neighbour town Baeza. We went through olive fields, across
dual carriageways and up steep hills but we made it in one piece! They had the
best churros, beautiful buildings, the sun was shining and we had the Sierra
Mágina all around us what more could we want in life?
These pictures don't do it justice as I was using my phone and I felt like it was time to include some photos of me haha.
Laura xox












LOL Taylor Swift goat song.
ReplyDeletejust had a creep through your blog, looks awesome! Glad you're enjoying it and I'm gonna follow your posts:) I was thinking I would do a blog but its mainly me drinking and sitting on a beach at the moment, not very entertaining to read!
hope the goats are behaving themselves! x
p.s #zoomlens
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fab life Laura! xxx
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies! Really enjoying it :) Maybe not entertaining to read but sounds like a good life!! x
ReplyDelete