Friday, 21 February 2014

The joys of getting older and fun on the farm!

Here I am six weeks into my thirteen week placement. It is all passing very quickly and we are trying to pack as much as possible into our remaining weekends. I have had such a great experience so far. I was pretty down before coming out here applying for jobs day in day out and not getting any interviews and not being the best candidate. Here everyone is treated as an equal and the work that is being done is appreciated which is so refreshing.

I turned 24 on Sunday and I couldn’t help but think that when I was 18 I thought that I would have my life sorted out by this stage. I do not and that’s okay because one day I am going to do something amazing and until then I am going to enjoy getting there! I spent Saturday in the sun in Ubeda and then we went bowling and for the first time that I can remember I did not come last! We then went out for a few cheeky beverages on Saturday night and partied Spanish style until 6/7 in the morning. On Sunday I got to catch up with family and friends on Skype and at the flat we celebrated me getting older with homemade chorizo sausage rolls and a banoffee sundae made by Marcus (Thanks again!) It was a chilled out weekend spent with some awesome people!




I was overwhelmed by the number of people that made the effort to send cards out to Spain as I thought my birthday may pass relatively unnoticed at home. It was great to put them all together and receive air mail. Thank you all! My parents kindly send me over a new jacket so now when I socialise I do not have to smell goaty, delighted does’t even cover it.

Work never fails to amaze me. Every day Elysia and I come home with a new story. It ranges from the tractor roof blowing off, a goat death/birth or some misinterpretation due to us still finding our feet with the language. Take for example me trying to explain to the farmer in Spanish that I worked with polar bears in Scotland and they liked eating mayonnaise. This is not exactly a common sentence in English never mind in Spanish.

Last week I said there were three kid goats born and now I can report that there are over forty! In one week!! They are just popping out everywhere. At one stage on Tuesday there were three giving birth at the same time. The speed at which they come out is crazy and within five minutes the kid is standing and after half an hour they are running around. It is so sweet having so many baby goats everywhere. They are so playful and inquisitive. And if that wasn’t good enough there are also piglets on the farm!! They are the cutest things ever and the runt of the litter fits into the palm of my hand.  



Goat photobomb









Yesterday we also had to deal with a goat giving birth while in the milking room. Had the goat been standing up this would have been a simple task of taking its neck out of the hold and taking it out into the shed. But no of course things were not going to be easy; the goat lay down and made the process a whole lot more difficult. After much deliberation the mum was out of the hold and the baby was happy and healthy!

The milking room is proving to be a place of risks as just before the above birth I was approximately one second away from getting diarrhoea all over my face! I luckily managed to run away just in time (running and screaming) but now I am terrified as it has happened to the farmers’ daughter and wife already. With this in mind today one goat ‘fired’ its poo across the milking room and it narrowly missed Elysia. I feel like it is not a case of if it will happen but when and I am not looking forward to this day.

I will keep you all updated on the poop developments.


Laura xox 

No comments:

Post a Comment