Life is full of choices and what
seems like a simple decision at the time can have a huge outcome.
Tomorrow there is a choice to be
made. With the simple question of “Should
Scotland be an independent country? Yes or
no” Easy right?
What box is ticked by each
individual will affect the country forever.
This is viewed as an amazing opportunity for some and a terrifying
prospect for others. Let me take you back to when I was in Toronto in 2012 before
I started I MSc I decided to have a month long trip in Canada. While sitting in
the hostel as soon as people found out I was Scottish I was asked what way I
was going to vote? I was judged
instantly on my political thoughts rather than who I was as a person.
Fast forward 2 years later and
here it is. For my international readers it has been quite the build up. Families and friendships have been strained
due to having conflicting beliefs about what is best for the future of this
country. Neighbours have been bold in placing a no thanks sign outside their
home to then be surrounded by yes signs on either side and vice versa.
I am of the opinion that had what
people were voting been kept secret as with other elections then the outcome
may have been different to whatever it may be tomorrow. While at a referendum
chat with my brother I found out that we had voted for different political
parties at the last election and it made me question whether I had made the
right choice? At the time I had no doubt I believed in the party but bring a
conflicting opinion into it and I started to sway. This is why I have
personally found it overwhelming to be bombarded by conflicting news stories
and sources on social media. I think it is great that people have shown an
interest in politics and are showing so much passion but I really truly wish
that people wouldn’t fall out over it.
![]() |
| Copyright: www.thedrinksbusiness.com |
At the end of the day everyone is
entitled to their opinion and if you disagree the original person should not
have to face a torrent of abuse for believing something different. I have never
seen such anger on social media. I understand that people are passionate and
they want to convince people that others should be voting the same way as them
but I am now concerned. I am concerned
because people have such strong opinions on the outcome of the referendum
(rightly so) that no matter what way the vote goes tomorrow, at least half of
the Scottish population are going to be pissed off. I am worried that it will
now never be the same. If it is a yes vote then some major changes will happen
that the no voters will have to go along with. If it is a no vote then the yes
voters will feel let down and stuck with a government that they don’t want. Are
we ever going to recover as a nation from this?
It is with this that I ask anyone
who reads this to please please vote for whatever you want. Vote for what you
believe in. If the vote does not go in your favour please don’t ask what other
people voted and pass the blame of the outcome onto them.
On Friday after the result has
been announced I say grab your loved ones and head out to have a well deserved
drink! Everyone within the yes and no
camps is voting for what they believe will be the best outcome for Scotland and
have the nations interests at heart so please don’t fall out over it. Please
embrace the chance to prove that we can be patriotic, proud and passionate
regardless of if we are independent or not.
-
Laura xox

No comments:
Post a Comment