Saturday, 11 January 2014

All the boring information first!

Here it is my first blog and the beginning of what I hope to be an incredible journey!

My name is Laura and I am one of the many people who have spent their lives in education in the hope that this alone will have landed me my dream job. Oh how wrong I was. The reality is here I am at the grand age of 23 (nearly 24) and have spent the past five years completing an undergraduate degree in Geography and an MSc degree in Conservation and Management and still don’t know exactly what I want to do. Would I like to work in the environmental field? Yes but it seems to be highly competitive at the moment and my summer jobs and voluntary work just aren’t going to cut it!


Some of my friends who have graduated are travelling the world (mainly Australia and New Zealand) but I do not have the funds at the moment to have considered this as an option. Others are in graduate schemes or full time jobs that they have held for many years. The rest are completing university courses and are within professions that they have all worked hard for and enjoy! Some are in long term relationships, have bought houses/are thinking of buying houses and there are even a few babies on the scene!

Where does this leave me? Feeling a bit left behind to be honest. Therefore I started this blog to allow family and friends to follow what I am up to on my journey (hopefully) to employment and maybe to allow other recent graduates to see that they are not alone!

For the next three months I am going to be taking part in an internship that will provide me with the opportunity to work in Spain on an ecological goat farm. Is this where I thought I would be three months after graduation? Not at all but I have now stopped focussing on where I am not and focus on enjoying where I am now!

Prior to this internship I volunteered as an animal keeper for six weeks at the Highland Wildlife Park in Kingussie, Scotland. IT WAS AMAZING! I worked for free and it was cold but I got to work with some incredible animals including Amur tigers, polar bears, red pandas, bison and camels to name a few. I may never have had this opportunity had I walked straight into a job after uni.


So there you have it, a round up of what I have done and no idea where I am going but that’s okay because I am going to have a blast getting there and will keep you all updated via the wonders of the world wide web :D


Laura xox 

No comments:

Post a Comment